Grief on Friday, December 14, 2012.

Posted on Updated on

Twenty young children and six school employees lost their lives in a Newtown, Connecticut elementary school today.

Approximately 40 parents said good bye to their young children for the last time this morning –  children whose siblings, aunts and uncles, nephews, cousins, and grandparents, have one less family member.  The school employees’ families are one short as well.

A lone gunman broke his way into an elementary school today with a Bushmaster .223 long rifle and two semi-automatic pistols:  a 9mm Sig Sauer, and a 10mm Glock.  He will not be tried in a court of law.  He was the 27th human life that breathed its last at the school today.

This tragedy currently ranks as the 2nd worse school shooting in our Nation’s history.  The 2007 Virginia Tech massacre of 32 takes 1st place; the Columbine Colorado High School incident comes in at 3rd place, with 13 massacred.

How does anyone reconcile the horror of this act?

And how do we erase the picture from our minds of children running down the school corridor with their eyes shielded, as advised by the emergency responders, to avoid seeing the carnage in and around the school office.  You see, the school principal,  a mother of five children of her own, and the school psychologist, were two of the six adult employees murdered today.  But wait – there’s more.  The gunman killed his mother at her home.  All weapons used during the massacre were legally registered to the mother – a gun enthusiast.

Why even write an article about this tragedy when there is no lack of news coverage at your fingertips?

My reason for doing so is to vainly try to express my horror and grief over the loss of life that occurred today, and the loss of innocence that was stolen from the surviving children who witnessed the carnage.  At this time of year, these children should only be concerned about whether the items on their Holiday gift lists will appear in their homes.  Now these children – and all children in schools throughout the Nation and the World – have to wonder if their school is safe; if they can run away fast enough; if their favorite teacher will be a target.

I don’t have anything else to say other than to leave you with a sentiment from Nobel Peace Prize winner, and Holocaust survivor, Elie Wiesel:

We must choose between the violence of adults, and the smiles of children; the ugliness of hate and the will to oppose it; between inflicting suffering and humiliation on our fellow man, and offering him the solidarity and hope he deserves for naught.  Even in darkness, it is possible to create light and encourage compassion.  There it is – I still believe in man, in spite of man.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Grief on Friday, December 14, 2012.

blessedbebeth - Middlescapes.com said:
    December 19, 2012 at 6:14 am

A huge fan of Elie Wiesel and his attempts to make sense of the senseless. I too still believe in the goodness of humanity, despite acts of intolerable and needless cruelty. May the return of the light of this holiday season revive and inspire us all to do better. I am glad you wrote about it. Much love to you and yours.

boomer98053 said:
      December 19, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thank you so much Blessed Be Beth!
      Here’s another quote from Elie Wiesel: “If there is one person on the planet who still is suffering from loneliness, or pain, or despair, and we don’t know about it – or we don’t want to know about it – something is wrong with the world.”

blessedbebeth - Middlescapes.com said:
        December 20, 2012 at 2:47 am

aaaah, he has paid the ultimate price for such wisdom. what a gift you have brought to my morning. thank you.

Kathy said:
    December 14, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I read in horror as the first news report about this horrible shooting came to my phone. It seemed every few minutes my cell would ding with more information. All I could think of is children my daughter’s age were killed today and others were traumatized. Why? Every morning I kiss my daughter goodbye before she goes to school. Never before could I have imagined that it could be my last goodbye to her. Today’s events changed that. How can someone shoot a child so young and so innocent? A few months ago there was a bomb threat at my son’s middle school. A vague phone message from the principal and some details from my son left me with many questions. No one really knows if the threat was real or a twisted joke, but 3 students were taken from the school in handcuffs and expelled. I once thought that school was one of the safest places for my kids to be. Both my kids know self-defense. My son is a second degree black belt. But that can’t stop a bullet. I am upset and scared for our kids today and the world they are growing up in. My heart goes out to the families in CT who lost a child today, along with those who lost a loved one.

Don said:
    December 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm

It is hard to comprehend the overwhelming grief and loss experienced by the families of those whose lives were ended by this senseless act. How can we? It seems that hardly a day goes by where something like this happens. “Heart – broken” doesn’t really do it, but it will have to do.

boomer98053 said:
      December 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm

A radio report earlier today quoted someone as saying they were “soul-broken.” That goes deeper to be sure.

What's on your mind?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s